When we’re not feeling so lazy, we make our own baked ribs, based on this recipe Canadian Living Everyday Favourites.
Hoisin Pork Ribs
- 3 lb pork side or back ribs, centre cut removed
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Pour 1/2″ water into a shallow roasting pan.
- Cut ribs into 2-rib pieces
- Place ribs, meaty side up, in a single layer, in the water.
- Cover and roast in 325°F oven until tender, 75 to 90 minutes.
- Drain liquid from ribs. (Cooked ribs can be refrigerated for 24 hours and finished later)
- In a bowl, combine hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes.
- Arrange cooked ribs on foil-lined baking sheet
- Brush ribs with half of the sauce.
- Roast in 425°F oven for 7 minutes.
- Brush ribs with remaining sauce
- Roast until browned and slightly caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- Sprinke with sesame seeds and serve.
Makes about 16 pieces.
For our summer recipe, and rib sauce, see Barbecued Pork Ribs on the Deck.