The chef was at a golf tournament today, so I made my own dinner. While chewing on leftovers, I thumbed through the Your Money’s Worth in Food recipe book that I mentioned yesterday. I found another favourite recipe that we enjoyed years ago. We added a few more seasonings, as mentioned in the note at the end of the recipe. You can also add shredded carrots for extra flavour and nutrition. The original recipe refers to “Hamburg” but I’ve changed it to “Hamburger.”
Macaroni and Hamburger Casserole
- 2 c (8 oz) macaroni pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ lb hamburger
- 2 c canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- buttered crumbs or crushed potato chips
- Cook macaroni in 6 to 8 cups boiling water and 2 tsp salt for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In lightly greased frypan brown the hamburger, push to side of pan and cook onion until transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients except buttered crumbs and pour into 1½-qt casserole. Sprinkle with buttered crumbs. Bake in moderate oven, 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 5 to 6 servings. For a heartier dish use 1 lb hamburger. For variety in flavour add ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp catsup or tomato paste.