However, the chef has fond memories of fried bologna from childhood, so maybe the following recipe would be a treat. I’ll be out the evening we’re having this!
The recipe is from Food That Really Schmecks, by Edna Staebler, which has some great recipes, especially for baking. It was published in 1968, and features Mennonite Country Cooking. The recipes use simple ingredients, and have easy to follow instructions. I’ll take the author’s word that this recipe is good. 😉
Fried Large Bologna Slices
- Nick the edges of bologna slices so they won’t curl.
- Dip them in milk, sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Dip them in fine bread crumbs, then into beaten egg with an added spoonful of milk.
- Coat again with the crumbs
- Pan-fry in melted dripping, turning carefully to brown each side — or dip in melted dripping and brown under the broiler.
The recipe notes say, “This is a budget-stretcher, and it’s good too…Try it with a salad and hot rolls.”