It’s going to be very hot for the next few days, so we might enjoy a light soup and salad for supper, instead of a heavy meal. This recipe is from Ultimate 30 Minute Cookbook, by Jenni Fleetwood, and was published in Australia in 1998. This cookbook is beautiful, with a single recipe per page, clear instructions, and photographs of the cooking steps and the finished dish.
The cookbook is divided into sections for 10 minute, 20 minute and 30 minute meals, and most recipes are simple, with just a short list of ingredients.
This recipe is from the 10 Minute section, and the name means egg and lemon. We’ll see if the chef likes this suggestion, or maybe goes for a different kind of meal.
- 7½ cups chicken stock (use good quality)
- 1 cup orzo pasta (or any small pasta)
- 3 eggs
- juice of 1 large lemon
- salt and ground black pepper
- lemon slices, to garnish
- Pour the stock into a large pan, and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs until frothy, then add the lemon juice and 1 tbsp cold water.
- Slowly stir in a ladleful of the hot chicken stock, then add one or two more.
- Return this mixture to the pan, off the heat and stir well. Do not let the soup boil once the eggs have been added or it will curdle.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve at once, garnished with lemon slices.