The chef made Cajun Dirty Rice tonight, using the recipe that I posted a couple of days ago. He added about 1 cup of tomato sauce near the end of the recipe, which added extra flavour and sauce. It was really good, and we’ll have it again soon, I hope.
Here’s another recipe from the family vault. It’s easy to assemble, then leave to cook for a couple of hours. In the summer, it could be made in the slow cooker, with a bit less liquid, to keep the kitchen cool.
Lazy Day Beef Casserole
- 2 lbs beef rump roast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 carrots, in 1/2” slices
- 2 celery stalks, in 1/2” slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- In skillet, brown beef on all sides in 2 tbsp oil.
- In 1-1/2 quart casserole, combine wine, broth, tomato paste, garlic and flour. Stir to mix well.
- Place meat in casserole and add carrots, celery and onion.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is tender.