Browsing through my recipe collection today, I found this salad, in a Dole recipe booklet (undated). I like all the ingredients, and haven’t made anything quite like this before, so the Chef tried it.
The salad was great, and we’ll definitely have it again. The vinegar keeps it from tasting too sweet, and the tart apples help too. We made this with real maple syrup, not the maple-flavoured kind.
Romaine Salad with Sour Cream Maple Dressing
- 1 head Romaine (approx 10 oz.)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 McIntosh apple, coarsely chopped
- Mix together in small bowl, sour cream, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Toast pecans in skillet, stirring, over medium heat, for 3 minutes. Chop coarsely.
- Cook bacon until crispy; crumble.
- Combine pecans, bacon, apple and salad greens in large serving bowl.
- Add dressing; gently toss to coat.
Makes 4 servings.