Tonight the chef made a very tasty salad Romaine with Sour Cream Maple Dressing, and a delicious ravioli. The ravioli had a cheese and mushroom filling, and was topped with a three-meat tomato sauce. He bought the pasta and sauce at Costco today, in the refrigerated section, and we’d certainly have both items again.
Here’s a recipe that we could try on a cool fall day. With a salad or vegetable on the side, it would be a hearty and tasty meal. The recipe is adapted from 4 Ingredient Recipes, a Company’s Coming cookbook.
I added a few seasonings, and carrots, and liquid to deglaze the frying pan.
Ground Beef and Potato Scallop
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced carrots
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup wine or water
- 10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
Prepare the Meat Mixture
- Stir fry ground beef in a large greased frying pan over medium heat, for 5 minutes
- Add carrots, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until no beef is longer pink.
- Drain any fat from the beef mixture
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste
- Add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and basil, and stir.
- Spread the meat mixture in an ungreased 2 quart casserole.
- Add the wine (or water) to the frying pan, and stir, to deglaze the frying pan.
- Cook about 2 minutes, then pour over the meat mixture
Prepare Potato Mixture
- In a large bowl, mix soup with 3/4 cup water. (use 1/2 cup for thicker mixture)
- Add the potato and onion
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir.
- Spoon potato mixture over meat.
- Bake, covered, in 350°F over, for 1 hour.
- Remove cover. and bake for 10-15 minutes, until top is starting to brown and potato is tender.