The chef made this delicious dinner in the slow cooker, a few weeks ago, and again today. We had our first snowfall of the season, so it was great to come home to this hot and hearty meal. It looked like we’d have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow, until the junior chef (our son) showed up and raided the fridge. Apparently he likes it too!
Cottage roll is called cottage ham in some parts of the world, but it should be a tasty and economical meal, wherever you are. The chef saved the stock and promised to make baked beans in a day or two.
We like the chopped cabbage with our cottage roll, but if you don’t like it, just leave it out.
Cottage Roll With Vegetables
- 1 (3 lb) cottage roll (cottage ham)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced in 2 inch lengths
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 cup chopped cabbage (optional)
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 shallots (optional)
Tip: Use your food processor to slice the onion, carrots, celery, and shallots
- Place cottage roll in roasting pan or slow cooker.
- Surround it with chopped vegetables.(You can add as many as will fit or what you need for supper)
- Sprinkle with pepper and cover roast with water
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours or in slow cooker on high 6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
After cooking, the cottage roll should fall apart like a pot roast.
Serve with mustard (Dijon is the chef’s favourite).
The leftover stock can be thicken up as a gravy or makes a great base for baked beans or pea soup .