We haven’t had this pasta for a long time, but it’s very good, and would be perfect for a cool fall supper. The recipe is from Quickies 2, which is packed with easy, tasty meal ideas.
The ingredients in this pasta are good for your health too, so you don’t even have to feel guilty while you enjoy this.
The recipe makes quite a bit of pasta, so we’d have leftovers for lunch the next day. Or, we could cook less pasta, and freeze some of the sauce to use later.
Serve a nice tossed salad on the side, and it’s a great supper.
Penne With Tomato and Beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 19-oz can kidney beans
- 1 pound whole wheat penne, cooked
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in kidney beans.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Toss with penne and Parmesan.
Serves 6 to 8.