Here’s another excellent recipe from Real Simple. They have a Weeknight Meals section every month, with quick and easy recipes, each with a picture to inspire you.
This recipe called for panko bread crumbs, and we’d never used those, so The Chef had to go on a shopping trip to look for them. The closest grocery store only sold the jumbo size, and he couldn’t find them at the backup store. Fortunately, I found some at the Bulk Barn, so we were in business!
Another new item for us was arugula, which we’ve probably eaten in mixed greens, but never bought on its own. It’s very tasty, with a strong flavour that went well with the creamy dressing. We both really enjoyed this recipe, and it’s on our “must have again” list. You can see a picture of our dinner below the recipe.
Panko Pork with Arugula Apple Salad
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup panko break crumbs
- 4 thin pork cutlets (about 1 lb)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1 bunch arugula, thick stems removed (about 4 cups)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko in separate shallow bowls
- Season pork with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
- Coat pork in flour, then eggs, and finally in bread crumbs, pressing gently to help crumbs adhere.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook pork until golden and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, then transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile in large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice, 2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Add arugula and apple, and toss to combine.
- Serve with pork and lemon wedges.