With Shrove Tuesday approaching I thought I would share a long time family favourite recipe with you — Sour Milk Pancakes. This recipe comes from the Client’s mother, and we’ve always had great success with it.
If you have some maple flavouring in the house, you can make your own syrup too, using another recipe from the Client’s mom: Maple Flavoured Syrup.
Sour Milk Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sour milk* (or buttermilk )
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp melted shortening (or vegetable oil )
*for sour milk add 1tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice per cup of milk
- Beat eggs until light
- Add sour milk or buttermilk
- Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth
- Stir in melted shortening
- Heat griddle or pan on high using ladle drop batter into pan
- Cook until bubbles appear on top surface of pancake, about 1 minute
- Flip pancakes, and cook until lightly browned.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup and bacon