This chicken dish looks fancy, and tastes delicious, but it’s quick and easy to prepare. The recipe is adapted from Quickies Chicken, which is another great recipe book in the Quickies series by Chatelaine.
Usually it takes a couple of hours to make Coq au Vin, but with this quick version, you can have dinner ready in about 25 minutes. While the Coq au Vin is cooking, prepare some rice to serve with it.
Instant Coq au Vin
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large frying pan, heat butter, over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pan, and brown on one side, about 2 minutes.
- Turn chicken over, and add mushrooms and garlic.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring mushrooms occasionally.
- Add wine, thyme and sugar.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat until wine is gently boiling, about 2 minutes.
- Turn chicken and stir mushrooms.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, until chicken feels springy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to serving platter and place mushrooms on top of chicken.
- Cover with foil, to keep chicken warm.
- Turn heat to high, and add green onions to wine mixture.
- Stir occasionally, until wine is reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Pour wine mixture over chicken and mushrooms, and serve with rice.
Makes 4 servings.