We got this recipe from Cooking Light, The Essential Dinner Tonight cookbook. It was one of our Christmas cookbooks from Costco, and has some really delicious meal ideas.
This recipe was a side dish, along with coleslaw, for a very tasty pork chop recipe with a Carolina rub. This is a very simple and tasty dish. Instead of just opening a can of baked beans, you can make this spicier bean dish, in just a few minutes.
The ingredients have been adjusted for 2 servings.
Stove Top Barbecue Beans
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 minced garlic
- 1/6 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can (14 oz) great northern beans (or substitute navy beans)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat
- Add chopped onions and garlic sauté for 3 minutes
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, chili powder and beans and cook for ten minutes stirring occasionally