The Chef had a rough time with the office computers last week, and needed a night off from his cooking chores. I looked through our cookbooks, to find an easy recipe that I could make, and found some inspiration in the Kraft Kitchens Dinner on Hand cookbook.
Before I could get started cooking, The Chef came home with a deli chicken, so nobody had to cook that night! Today, he noticed the cookbook, open at the Macaroni Dinners page, and that’s what he made for us tonight.
The cookbook has recipes with general instructions, and tables of ingredients, so you can mix and match from the ingredient lists. This recipe has 3 lists: Meat, Shredded Cheese and Add-Ins.
Here’s the version we had (see picture below) – and it was delicious. You could use other ingredients, if you prefer. For example, use chicken as the meat, shredded Mozzarella, and chopped celery.
Macaroni and Cheese With Beef
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 c diced onion
- 2 c water
- 2 c macaroni
- 1 c milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 c shredded Tex-Mex cheese
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook beef and onion in nonstick skillet.
- Add water, macaroni, milk and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, until macaroni is soft, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Add shredded cheese, and stir until melted.
- Add tomatoes, and stir gently until heated.
- Top with grated Parmesan, and broil until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Picture: Our delicious Macaroni and Cheese With Beef