I haven’t made this cake yet, but Chris saw my Cooking With Corn Oil recipe for Minute Magic Pastry, and asked for this chiffon cake recipe, from the same cookbook.
Her grandmother was looking for the Chiffon Cake recipe that used to be on the back of the corn oil bottle. I hope this is the recipe that she wanted!
- 1 1/8 cups sifted cake or pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine corn oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp at a time and continue beating until meringue is very stiff and glossy
- Add the oil mixture all at once to the dry ingredients and beat by hand just until smooth.
- Fold meringue into cake batter gently but thoroughly. Pour into an unoiled 8" or 8-1/2" tube cake pan 3 1/2" deep or into a 5" x 10" x 3" loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° F, 40 to 45 min. or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately turn pan upside down and suspend so that cake does not touch anything.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Orange chiffon cake
- In the basic Chiffon Cake recipe, substitute 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate for 4 tbsp of the water, or substitute fresh orange juice for all the water.
- Add 1 tsp grated orange rind.
- Bake 45 to 50 min.
- Frost with Fluffy Lemon Frosting or drizzle with Lemon Glaze
Fluffy white frosting
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a small sauce pan, bring corn syrup to the boil
- With an electric mixer at high speed, beat egg white until stiff, but not dry.
- Gradually pour boiling syrup into egg white, beating continuously until frosting is fluffy and peaks when beaters are lifted.
- Thoroughly beat in water and vanilla.
- Swirl frosting over cooled cake
Sufficient frosting for 10-inch chiffon cake
Fluffy Lemon Frosting
Substitute 2 tbsp lemon juice for the water and 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind for the vanilla.
- 1 1/2 tsp corn oil
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- Heat liquid ingredients and lemon rind
- Add to icing sugar and stir until smooth
- Cool, then drizzle over 8 inch chiffon cake