One of our favorite winter meals is Veal Osso Buco. It simmers all day in the slow cooker, and fills the house with a wonderful aroma. It’s a delicious and filling meal, with a lovely tomato sauce.
Below the recipe, you can see a picture of our dish. We didn’t have any lemon, so used orange zest instead – it was just as tasty!
Slow Cooker Osso Buco
- 1.5 lb veal shanks
- Can of diced Tomatoes (14 to 19 oz. )
- Tbsp of olive oil
- One large carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 large sweet onion diced finely
- 2 cloves of garlic ( I use 1 tsp from jar of minced garlic )
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup of flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Lemon peel strips
- 1 cup of beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- Rice or pasta
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in flat bowl and dredge the veal shanks
- Put the carrot, celery and onions in the bottom of the slow cooker and mix up
- Add garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon strips to slow cooker and mix with other ingredients.
- Heat non-stick fry pan on high and add olive oil.
- Brown veal shanks on both sides
- Add veal shanks to slow cooker on top of vegetables.
- Cover with diced tomatoes and add beef broth and wine
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on high, then set the slow cooker to low for 4 to 6.5 hours
- Prepare rice or pasta according to package instructions
- Prior to serving trim Osso Buco and cut into bite size pieces
- Serve Osso Buco and vegetables over bed of rice or fine pasta ( angel hair )