These muffins are a little sweeter than regular corn bread. They taste great with a big bowl of spicy chili, and are really easy to make.
If you have muffins left after the main course, eat them for dessert, with a helping of strawberries, or another fruit. The leftovers are delicious for breakfast too, and you can warm them up in the microwave before serving them.
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil and sugar together.
- Add the beaten egg and milk, and combine thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir the cornmeal into the flour mixture.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, and stir only enough to dampen all the flour.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake muffins in a 425°F oven, for 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately, or reheat and serve later.