This recipe comes from a mid-70’s government cookbook, "Your Money’s Worth in Food". Over the years, we’ve enjoyed many of the recipes from this sensible cookbook, like the Swiss Steak that I made again tonight.
We’ve never tried this bean and Spam pie recipe though. It doesn’t sound appealing to me, but The Chef, who enjoys fried baloney (yuck!) might like it. What do you think? Would you eat this hearty Spam pie?
Quick Bean and Spam Pie
- 1 12-oz can luncheon meat (Spam)
- 1 19-oz can baked beans
- 1/4 cup chopped pickle or pickle relish
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 4 oz nippy process cheese, grated or cut into small cubes
- Cut the Spam into thin slices, and arrange around the inner edge of a 9" pie plate, overlapping the slices, like petals. (This makes it pretty, as well as delicious!)
- Combine the beans, pickles and mustard, and pour into the centre of the pie plate.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F, for 30 minutes, or until bubbly (the pie, not you)