We got this recipe from a Taste of Home magazine. We really enjoy it and it is easy to make. Here is a picture of the Taste of Home version.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines ( 15 crackers) (I substitute 1/2cup of Panko bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute ( I substitute 1 egg beaten)
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 envelope of reduced sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tbsps. all-purpose flour
- (I also add 1 tbsp. of creamy horseradish sauce sometimes)
- In a large bowl combine onion, saltines or Panko, egg substitute or beaten egg, pepper, horseradish if using and beef, mix lightly and form into 5 patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil medium heat. Add patties; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and keep warm; discard drippings. (if using extra lean this step may not be necessary).
- In a bowl combine water, soup mix and flour and blend. Add mixture to skillet bring to a boil. Return patties to the skillet if they were removed cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and favourite vegetable for a delicious meal. (Also good with scalloped potatoes)