We got this recipe from Real Simple and as we were in the south decided to try it. All the ingredients were easy to find. While in Hilton Head we had it couple of times and we really enjoyed it. At home ingredients especially the chili paste and shrimp deveined and peeled were a little harder to find but the meal was just as tasty. A note for preparation I generally do the rice earlier in the day and store in the fridge.
- 2 Tbsps of olive oil
- 1 pound of shrimp deveined and peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic ( if chili paste has garlic omit this ingredient)
- 1 Tsp kosher salt ( I used sea salt)
- 2 Tbsp chili paste (we use 1 tbsp)
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut milk ( I used lite coconut milk)
- 4 cups of jasmine rice. ( on one occasion I used sticky rice)
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and salt and cook until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Add chili paste and coconut milk to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, bean sprouts, scallion, lime juice and shrimp and cook until heated through, 3 – 4 minutes, Serve garnished with basil leaves