We have had this recipe on many occasions and really enjoyed it. The recipe is from Mary Beth’s Blog.
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rae’s)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
For the Meatloaf:
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup of whole-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp olive oil ( I used canola oil)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup of small diced onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef (lean or extra lean)
- 1/2 lb of ground lean pork
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and place over low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent ( try not to brown). Add parsley, basil and tomato past and cook for about a minute. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine panko and buttermilk ( I sometimes add some hot horseradish to this mixture 1 tbsp) and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine, place beef, pork, cheese, salt and pepper, the onion mixture and the panko mixture. Mix with your hands until just combined.
- On a rimmed baking pan ( I use a disposable tinfoil pan 13x10x2 1/2), form the mixture into loaf shape sitting in the center of the pan, with all four sides exposed.
- Brush sides and top with some glaze and bake for 50 minutes. Brush on more glaze every 10 minutes or so. Retain excess glaze as a sauce.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.