We had this and the Gruyere Mushrooms Tarts as a light and complete meal. The soup was delicious and comes from Presidents Choice recipes. Their recipe also called for a Charred Corn Salsa which we didn’t have but I will include recipe in this post.
Ingredients for the soup
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil (I used Canola oil)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cups of chicken stock (for a complete vegetarian meal you could substitute Vegetable stock)
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the salsa
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- 1 cob of corn shucked
- 2 tbsp. coriander freshly chopped
Directions for the soup
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and carrots and cook stirring for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook stirring for 1 minute
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- In food processor or blender puree soup in batches until smooth ( I used a hand blender)
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled
- Just before serving stir in orange juice and season to taste
Directions for the salsa
- Grill the shucked cob of corn on a lightly greased grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown
- Cut the cob in half and stand on a cutting board
- Using a sharp knife cut kernels off from top to bottom
- Place in a small bowl and stir in coriander and oil
If serving soup with salsa put 1/4 of salsa in each bowl and ladle soup over it.