These aren’t really Fajitas, because they have rice instead of tortillas. To make them, combine rice, chicken, vegetables and some spicy flavours in a foil packet, for a quick and easy dinner.
We enjoyed these, and we will definitely make them again. It’s fun to create your own dinner, with the ingredients that you like best! (I skipped the peppers, and used tomatoes instead)
This recipe is adapted from the original that I found on the Kraft Canada website. That version serves 4, and I’ve cut it down to serve 2.
- 3/4 cup instant white rice, uncooked
- water (according to rice instructions)
- 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1/2 lb)
- 1/2 each green and red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Tex Mex Cheese
- (optional) Sour cream, as a topping
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- For each packet, use a sheet of heavy-duty foil, (about 18”)
- Fold up each side of the sheets, to make 1-inch rim
- Spray the foil lightly, with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the rice, water and seasoning mix
- Spoon the rice mixture into the centre of the foil sheets.
- Top with pepper strips, salsa and cheese.
- Bring up foil sides. Double-fold top and ends to seal each packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside.
- Place foil packets in a 8×8-inch baking pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is done (170ºF).
- Let stand 5 min.
- Carefully cut slits in the foil, to release the steam, before opening the packets.
- You could eat from the packets, or scoop the chicken and rice onto a dinner plate.
- (Optional) Top off each portion with a spoonful of sour cream, just before serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes