Our favourite Chili con Carne recipe is from the Silver Palate Cookbook. We love the ingredients, but the recipe is called “Chili for a Crowd”, and it serves 30-40 people. So, here is our smaller version of the recipe, which serves 5-6 people. That gives us a hearty meal, with leftovers for lunch or supper the next day.
The Silver Palate Cookbook
We bought the Silver Palate Cookbook long ago, and have made the chili recipe more than any other dish in the book.
You can find the original recipe here, and below is our adaptation of the recipe. The “secret” ingredients are the dill and the lemon juice. They give the chili a unique flavour, and we really enjoy it.
The video below shows how I browned the onions and beef in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. It’s nice to do everything in one pot — it saves cleanup time!
Silver Palate Chili for a Small Crowd
This version serves 5-6, instead of the original 30-40. Adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. We don’t make it too hot, and can add red pepper flakes at the table for extra heat.
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 28 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup burgundy wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon dried fresh parsley
- 1 – 16 ounce cans dark red kidney beans (drained),
- In the Instant Pot, on Low temperature, sauté the onions in the oil, for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
- Add the ground beef and brown well, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, salt, basil, and oregano, and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley and beans.
- Stir gently to mix all ingredients together.
- Set the Instant Pot to Slow Cook, and cook on Normal heat for about 4 hours.
Serve with garnishes such as sour cream, guacamole and shredded Tex-Mex cheese.
Video: Brown Beef and Onions for Chili in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
This video show the steps for browning the onions and beef for the chili. After that, set the Instant Pot to cook for a few hours on the Slow Cook setting.