This recipe is from the April 2017 issue of Better Homes and Gardens. The original recipe serves 6, so I’ve cut it in half. Also, I’ve broken out some preparation steps, to help us get organized.
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with Kale
Cook gnocchi and kale, make a cheese sauce, then combine and bake.
1 16 ounce package gnocchi
5 ounces kale (3 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 ounce sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1/4 cup)
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Start water boiling in a large pot, for the gnocchi
- Wash the kale, then remove the stems, and chop into small pieces.
- Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish; set aside
- Heat a medium saucepan (for the cheese sauce) on medium heat
Gnocchi and Kale
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions
- Just before the gnocchi is finished cooking, add the kale for the last minute.
- Drain the gnocchi, then return the gnocchi and kale to the pot
- Meanwhile, in the saucepan, cook the garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, to combine.
- Whisk in the milk
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the cheese and lemon zest.
- Pour over the gnocchi mixture, and stir to coat.
- Pour into the greased baking dish.
- Top with Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.