This recipe is adapted from the cookbook, Fix It and Forget It Cooking Light for Slow Cookers. We got the Kindle version of the book, and it has several recipes that I’d like to try sometime soon.
The original recipe is for 6 servings, and that’s way too much for us, so this version is revised, to serve 2 people. I also added julienned carrots, for two reasons:
- They’ll add a bit of flavour and nutrition
- It saves a step and a cooking pot, at supper time
The recipe only takes 3-4 hours to cook, so prepare it in the early afternoon, and it will be ready at supper time.
- 1 cup julienned carrots (pre-cut, from the produce section)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (we used small ones)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (bottled)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced
Slow Cooker Directions
Note: Use a small slow cooker, about 3-4 cups.
- Wipe the chicken with paper towels, to dry it.
- Combine the oregano, and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Rub the seasoning mixture over the chicken.
- Brown the chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side
- Put the julienned carrots into a small crockpot (3-4 cup size)
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker, on top of the carrots.
- Combine the water, lemon juice, garlic, and crumbled bouillon cube in skillet.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, while stirring frequently, to loosen the browned bits.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, in the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Instant Pot Version
Instead of using a skillet and a slow cooker, use an Instant Pot, if you prefer. Make the following changes to the Slow Cooker directions
- Brown the chicken on the Sauté setting, then take it out while you make the sauce.
- Put the carrots in, with the chicken on top of them.
- Spoon a bit of the sauce over the chicken, then cook on the Slow Cooker setting.